Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reduce the size of column Pre-Eng Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilaypathak

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2010
CA
Hello,

What are different conceptual methods can be review to change columns from Tapered to Straight in PreEng building.

Is it possible to reduce the column sizes significantly?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No need to be defensive, audeuce02. I think the criticism offered here is constructive. Closing up shop on discussion is not likely to help your cause. We regularly get good advice on PEMB from some members, ajh1 included.

Jed, Paddington & Hokie, you guys are one heck of a 1,2,3 punch. But, truth speakers.

I actually thought the O.P’er. asked the original question with considerable naivete. And, I was just warning that there probably wasn’t much reserve in the columns or the whole bldg. for that matter. And, that these bldgs. are quite sensitive to any modifications without the programs, materials lists and code corner cutters the PEMB people employ. PEMB’s may have their place in the as-built infrastructure world, there will always be people who buy on the lowest dollar/cu.ft. enclosed basis only, but they should have a better understanding of what they are buying and its limitations, as regards any future changes to the bldg. And, if the PEMB people want to improve their name or image a little bit, they could be more open and cooperative with the rest of the bldg. industry after the initial bldg. sale, and any changes need to be made to the bldg. And, they could be more up-front with the potential bldg. owner about future bldg. modification limitations, deflections and flexibility, etc. They could also mention that while their steel price looks pretty good, some of that savings will be used up in extra found. work for which they pretend they are not responsible, so as to look even better.

There are steel bldg. salesmen, there are their crafts people, and they certainly are crafty, and there are regular engineers. Audeuce02, you shouldn’t be so sensitive about what you do, as others have said you do it pretty darn well. You squeeze every pound of steel out of those buildings; that you trim right to the bone can’t be denied, and that you reduce the fabricating costs and time to the bear minimum, can’t be denied either. But, your industry could be a bit more up-front about what you are really selling, and maybe some of you engineering people could lead in bringing this about. You could be more helpful when bldg. modifications are needed by your bldg. owner, or at least explain again what you sold him and why it can’t be altered. Your industry has really made its own reputation, and you’re not improving it here, in my eyes.

I dont know why the PEMB engineers wouldnt want to do footing design, get a programer in, work on the program to take the reactions, and do the design. a few extra $$ on each job could add up.

I get asked a lot about upgrading runways and cranes in PEMB's. I basically get zero information from the owners and the original designers so anymore I just reject the request out-of-hand rather than deal with some pissy owner.

I recently looked at one where the differential settlements from frame to frame were so bad that the runway looked like someone drew it on an etch-a-sketch after a 12 pack.
Not the fault of the steel designer necessarily but the foundations were "detailed" right on the PEMB drawings and all they showed was a rectangle in plan with with a note "such n' such bars @ 12" ctrs both ways". Literally that was the extent of the foundation details. It was a joke...
Building was built in the 70's and the drawings had the title block of a very prominent metal building producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back