Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reduced flow rate of existing pumping system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komo421

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2012
ZA
How is it possible to determine a reduced flow rate for the purchasing of a new pump, as the old pumps do not have to supply the flow rate that they were designed for anymore, thus just wasting energy and water?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know what the pipe's diameters are and length, and also the size of the tank, there are existing valves in the piping system that can maybe used to reduce the flow? How will I however be able to determine physically what that flow rate will be?

Your flowrate can be calculated. You only need to know the size of your tank and the shortest length of time that your tank can supply your system. If tank size is 1000 gallons and it is sufficient to supply your system for 50 hours, the minimum flowrate that you need is 1000 gallons /50 hours = 20 gallons per hour, or 0.33 gpm

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Thanks for the post BigInch...that is a helpfull hint, is there maybe another way to determine the flow, because this is the only tank that supplies a section of a plant, and allowing it to run dry to check how long it takes will cause the plant to have no water for a while?

How about a half a tank?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

You can buy a [now i forgot the name] transmitter that measures fluid velocity. You place that against a pipe, whose diameter you know, and calculate the flow.

That is a sure fire way.

a flow meter will only tell you what the instantaneous flowrate is, not what flowrate you need.

Let the tank run down as far as you want. The longer you can wait, the closer you'll know the minimum flowrate you must have.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

Thanx for all the posts really appreciate the help, I think a flow meter will still work though, there is an overflow pipe so will it work if you measure the instantaneous flow rate being used as well as the rate of the overflow, and the difference there will give you your flow rate needed?

It will work. I'm saying only that it won't tell you the minimum flowrate you need. Maybe that's not important to you, but it can make an immense difference if you have a wide range of demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back