Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reducing energy consumption in the mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecableguy

Electrical
Dec 11, 2007
GB
dear all, i wonder if you can provide me some information regarding the energy consumption reduction in the mines. I will be very interested to find out more about this.

thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some are more obvious than others,examples would be solar energy in newly built buildings (maximising the sun in relation to building design, heating and power supply).More efficient mining equipment(electric over diesel)Pressure sensitive pads in hall ways store rooms etc. to turn lights on for a certain amount of time,auto lights off after a certain time,computers turned off and not in hibernation when finishing of a day,energy efficient light bulbs,recycling of paper waste etc...Specific areas in fixed plant environments for lights on(major walkways and high traffic areas.)
Sorry I can keep going and going.The minesite I am on are currently doing this and much more

Another item of interest with regard to underground mines is "ventilation on demand". Essentially, one of the big energy consumers in underground mines is the mine fans (both main and auxiliary). By reducing the ventilation to only provide air when and as required, significant operating savings can be realized. Of course, the capital and logistics for such an enterprise can be substantial.

Cheers,
CanuckMiner

Hi thecableguy

You might also want to consider
1. variable speed drive on pump drives.
2. Use of day/night auto switches for lights.
3. Use of a bigger % of clear sheeting on roofs to allow for more natural lighting for surface buildings.
4. Timed lightning systems for non critical areas, where lights will switch off in auto after say 30 min.
5. Auto shutdown for office machinery not in use for a certain period will help.

I hope this helps
Cheers

Mining Industry Directory

Some good ideas - I'd be a bit careful with ventilation on demand though - it's real easy for the workforce to end up working in an area that hasn't been ventilated properly if they forgot to switch on a fan / close a door, etc - I've had the unfortunate experience of having several miners end up being evaluted for over exposure to CO due to not properly restablishing ventilation.

Power factor adjustment with capacitors can also be a big savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back