Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reducing the height of a shear wall by a continuous header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andr3w44

Civil/Environmental
Aug 17, 2017
US
Hello all,
I was reading over an article on the narrow shear wall. (Link) If i were to use the option "b" that's discussed, would I be able to use some simpson mstc straps to make a continuous header. I have posts breaking up a header in two locations and believe a couple of straps to make it continuous. or possibly a CMST14 cut to the full length of wall. Attached is a pdf of a model as described.
Thanks for the help!
Andrew

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b14212d3-531c-4979-a4c7-15d37b6f1be0&file=continuous_header_for_shear_wall.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe that what you've sketched satisfies the intent of the FTAO method when it comes to reducing the aspect ratio of the walls. FTAO breaks up the wall height by effectively converting the wall into a moment frame where the moment frame panel zones are considered to be separate shear panels from the wall proper and thus, subject to their own aspect ratio limitations. Your proportions and detailing don't support treatment of your wall as an FTAO/moment frame.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back