Reduction in Depth of Existing Steel Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

seconb

Structural
Jul 12, 2022
GB
Hi All,

I have a castellated beam spanning 17.2m as part of a braced steel frame. I need to remove a 2000mm wide by 400mm deep section at approximately the quarter point, please find a sketch attached. I have assessed the current loading on the beam and sized two angles to be welded on either side of the reduced section to take the current bending moment and shear loads.

Is there anything else you would be considering?

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4a5953ba-fbee-40a8-9f1b-53ad9e29ba13&file=Screenshot_2024-02-29_202928.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would look into out of plane stability at the top of the new columns.
I would look at the bearing of the castellated beam sitting on the columns.

That looks plausible subject to CDLD's comments. Treat the new 'shallow beam' as being fixed end connection, for strength and stability.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks both, I will also look into those additional checks. Do you think I need to worry too much about the weld? I feel like there would be some awkward shear forces going on at the weld but unsure how to check this.

I think that the usual VQ/It process is still valid and healthy here. You'd just need to take the welding that will be interrupted by the openings and reassign it to the solid bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back