Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REFERENCE FOR DESIGN FOR BOX GIRDERS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLESCOSTA

Structural
Aug 26, 2007
IN
Hi
I am in need of some good reference book on design of steel box girders.I specifically need the moment of inertia requirements for diaphragms
at the point of eccentric loading where torsional moment and a vertical load is applied to only one web(like from cantilever platforms attached to one web only).Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Lincoln foundation had a publication on the design of orthotropic plates; I don't know if it's still available...

Dik

Orthotropic is likely only going to give small three-sided boxes and trapezoidal shapes with no diaphragms to speak of.

The best shot here is one of the AISC Design of Steel Highway Bridges Handbook. In it they have design examples of steel box girders. While the analysis is done by computer, most of the design components are shown by hand for clarity.

As I recall there is a box available on the design of box girders...just don't recall the author or date, but I know it is from the 70s.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I meant to say there is a text available on the design of steel box girders. Very theoretical as I recall.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

CHARLESCOSTA,

With boxes torsional warping stresses should be looked at, the provided manual states that if less than 10% of long. bend. stress there is no need to consider it.

HTH

VOD

Thanks for all your replies.I am referring to steel box girder with plate diaphgrams like the ones used in
overhead cranes where drive platforms are directly attached to one web.Voyageofdiscovery which manual are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back