Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference for Design Load for Hay Storage 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1W1

Materials
May 2, 2009
US
I need a reference for design live load for hay storage. I realize there are differences depending on type of hay and amount of compression when baling. I am looking for a range. Thanks, John aka Kay1W1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Baled Hay or Straw - 8 to 14 pcf
(source: Hall, Carl W. 1980. Drying and Storage of Agricultural Crops. AVI Publishing Co. Inc.)

An 80# bale is roughly 18" square X 3' long. That equates to somewhere around 20 psf per stacked bale. That's what I have used in the past with no problems.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

A baler can be cranked up to produce heavier bales. I would use one hundred pound bales as an average, (80-120)Twenty bales is considered a ton when sold without a scale. Rolled big bales are denser but when stacked are the same overall weight due to gaps between bales.

Table C4-1 (pg. 274) of ASCE 7-05 lists "Storage, hay or grain = 300 psf" with a footnote to use the weight of actual equipment or stored material when greater. Not sure this is helpful or not...just thought I would share it.

National Farm Building Code of Canada lists the bulk density of many materials including:

Hay (air dried)
- baled 160 kg/cu.m (10 pounds per cubic foot)
- chopped 160 kg/cu.m (10 pounds per cubic foot)
- long 80 kg/cu.m (5 pounds per cubic foot)
- wafered 325 kg/cu.m (20 pounds per cubic foot)

I'm not sure what they mean by long or wafered hay.

Also, there is a statement in the NFB that floor loading for stored products shall not be less than 5.0 kPa (105 psf) and for areas of the floor used by farm machinery traffic shall not be less than 7.0 kPa (145 psf). Also design for case of 23 kN (5167 lbs) point loads per wheel for farm equipment. There is another clause that the design live load shall be increased by 50% for areas where equipment is loaded or unloaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back