Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reference Geometry on the face of a drawing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

medicman

Aerospace
Oct 22, 2007
US
So here is the situation, I have an flex hose installation drawing that feeds an assy. This assy also contains another installation that installs the components the flex hoses attach to. So here is my perdiciment. I need to be able to show reference structure in the tube drawing without creating children in the product that are called out in the other installation drawing. Any suggestions? FYI, I am working in TeamCenter. If I was working solely in Catia, I would just pull in the necessary reference structure, mark it "do not show in BOM" in the properties menu and move on. But that doesn't seem to work in TeamCenter. The TeamCenter BOM creates a double dip for the parts I need to show as reference.

Hope this makes sense...

Medicman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two options: Use Scenes, or use Overload Properties. Both will allow you to display/hide various components on your assembly drawing.

I don't have a problem with showing the info on the drawing. The problem I have is being able to show it without the structure becoming part of the assy in 3D and I don't want to link the drawing to the next higher assy either.

Medicman

What about making two views? one view referring to the flex hose structure and the other view referring to the reference structure. Then superpose one on top of the other and if needed kill the link?? Just thinking out loud

That would work except when you isolate the structure, you have lost the "auto-update" ability. We are still changing the structure around the hoses (hopefully not impacting the hoses themselves) and I would like to be able to update the views without having to totally recreate them... and also keep them linked to the structure if we need revisions in the future.

Medicman

I am not sure if i have understood your problem correctly, but, we put the reference structure within a component in the product (INSERT:COMPONENT) under the product.

This way teamcentre will not recognise the component , also it can be deactivated in the tree when you have finished the drawing so that you don,t get multiple instances in the DMU. We also put master lines and standard parts within components, we don't deactivate the standard parts component though.

If you need to update the views you will need to activate the ref structure component before update.

If that makes sense let me know as we are currently moving to team centre and we have built our products this way.

Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back