Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reference Handbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonb

Chemical
Apr 29, 2009
US
What are the best reference handbooks for facilities engineering of offshore production platforms?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start with basic information. API sells several primers related to oil and gas production. The GPA Handbook includes more technical detail. Perhaps others can advise of a general handbook.

The equipment manufacturers' installation and operating manuals specific to each platform are important information sources. The projects develop construction, startup and operating manuals for specific platforms.

There is a good book on offshore platforms edited by James Wilson

Contents:

?Structures in the Offshore Environment (J. Wilson).
?Structure-Environmental Force Interactions (J. Wilson).
?Deterministic Descriptions of Offshore Waves (B. Muga).
?Wave Forces on Structures (J. Wilson).
?Deterministic Responses for Single Degree of Freedom Structures (J. Wilson).
?Statistical Descriptions of Offshore Waves (B. Muga).
?Statistical Responses for Single Degree of Freedom Linear Structures (J. Wilson).
?Multi-Degree of Freedom Linear Structures (J. Wilson).
?Applications of Multi-Degree of Freedom Analysis (J. Wilson).
?Continuous Systems (J. Wilson).
?Behavior of Piles Supporting Offshore Structures (L. Reese).
?Conversion Table.

Personally, if I were going offshore to work I'd take the following books:
- GPSA Engineering Data Book
- Campbell's Gas Conditioning & Processing Volume 1 (The Basic Principles)
- Campbell's Gas Conditioning & Processing Volume 2 (The Equipment Modules).
- Trouvay & Cauvin's Piping Equipment Handbook

Between them, they cover most things you'll encounter.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any references that cover the utilities (drains, air, etcetera). However, a good reference that describes the flare system and issues relating to it can be found in:
- The Institute of Petroleum Guideline for the Safe and Optimum Design of Hydrocarbon Pressure Relief and Blowdown Systems.

Hope these help you in some way.

Oh, how could I have forgotten The Petroleum Engineer's Handbook (from SPE)? I believe that this book has now been split into several discrete sections that can be purchased separately, but it's certainly worthwhile.

If you get these references electronically then they can be easily carried offshore without impacting your hand luggage limit excessively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back