Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing a datum from another view

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaTactical

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2004
US
Please excuse me a little as I am not a trained engineer and am not sure of the terminology.

I am attempting to reference from one drawing view a datum target in another view. Basically, I have to locate a feature based on the location of a feature visible in aother view.

The datum target is the center of a hole. I easily mapped the datum target to this hole center by first drawing a line from the hole center and attaching the datum target to the line.

Now I need to be able to dimension from that datum in other views. I would have thought this was the entire purpose of employing a datum, so I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You cannot dimension from a feature of one view to a feature of another. Although related to one another via the model, they are independent from each other with regard to dimensioning.

View alignments can be broken, so each view should be 'self-sufficient' and show its own datum.

BTW, forum1103 is the Drafting Standards, GD&T & Tolerance Analysis Forum

[cheers]

Thank you.

I am working off a set of published prints where datums are referenced in many different views. In some of the views, there is only the datum floating without reference to its anchoring feature (which is visible in another view). These are necessary because the anchoring feature from which a feature in one view is referenced is invisible in that view.

If datums cannot be referenced across views, what are they used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back