Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing find no's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000mustanggtguy

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
US
How do I have find number of a bill of material defined in a line of text, and if the find number changes and so does the find number in the line text?

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Stangs rule!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MIPOD
Can you rephrase your question or provide some more details? It may just be that I'm dense, but I've read the question several times, but can't make head nor tail of what you're trying to do.

He wants to be able to have a BOM Item Number shown in a note but remain associated to the BOM.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Ah, now it makes sense. "Find" is an adjective in this case? I kept reading it as a verb.

I don't know of any way to do it other than cheating. Make a balloon, remove the leader and border, and make a separate note with a gap where you want the number to be. Line the leaderless, borderless balloon up with the gap and then group the two so that they move as one. Both the balloon and the note have to belong to the same drawing view or you won't be able to group them.

No problem handleman,

Here a example:

31. WHEN ASSEMBLING FIND NO. 213 TO 230, USE RED LOCKTITE. SET TORQUE LIMITING SREWSDRIVER TO X.XX LBS.

SO FIND NO. 213 IS LINK TO THE SOLIDWORKS BILL OF MATERIAL.

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Stangs rule!

CBL, you should get a star for interpreting the question. [bigsmile] This isn't the first time you translate a question into English; I thought it was pig-latin at first. (just kidding 2000mustanggtguy)

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

The term "Find Number" is a Agile term. They made it up cuz I guess they didn't consult any industry standards before putting their software together. For future reference, mustanggtguy, the correct term is Item Number. :)

Oh, and what Agile calls "Item Number" is actually a Part Number, if that isn't even more confusing.

I could be wrong, but I believe Agile is the only place where you will see these confused terms.

I have only recently heard the term "Find Number" used in place of "Item Number" over the last couple of months ... and I believe it was in one of the forums here in Eng-Tips.

[cheers]

Guys, the term FIND NUMBER is much older than a few months. The oldest standard I have is a 1972 printing of dod-d-1000/dod-std-100 which references Find Numbers and Item Numbers interchangibly.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

[lol] I wasn't suggesting that it was a new term ... just one that I hadn't heard before.

[cheers]

When i first started out, I was working with a bunch of old Lockheed engineers (like the kind of guys that designed new airplanes in months without computers); and the language they spoke has stuck with me - so I tend to use "find no" instead of "item no".

I guess its what you're use to hearing when you grow up... the old pop-soda-coke debate....

CbL - I wasn't accusing :) just joining in on the conversation... but maybe it's a debate for a different fora!

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back