Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing Variables 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I have a dropdown list, containing 'C' or a 'W'.

Based on the value selected, for example, 'W', I want to populate another dropdown list with the variable 'W_Lst' that creates a dropdown list of all the W Sections. If 'C' is selected, the dropdown list will use the variable 'C_Lst' for all the C Sections.

I want to select a particular W Section from the dropdown list and using the Vlookup function to select the properties from another array called 'W_Tbl' which has all the properties for all the W Sectins. If 'C' is selected the array is called 'C_Tbl' and these properties are accessed.

Alternately, is it possible to create another variable equal to, say, Temp_Tbl and set this equal to either C_Tbl or W_Tbl and use the Temp_Tbl value in the VLookup function.

Clear as mud... Is it possible to do this in Excel?

Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only time I get a #REF error is when H is selected for Skip's workbook, but that's only because there isn't any data on the H page.

Also, if you are wanting to see only the sections available for the Member Type Selected in cell C58, change the Data Validation in C60 to the following:
=INDIRECT(Member_Type&"_Lst")

=INDIRECT(Member_Type&"_Lst")

...will only work properly, if C58 is Named Member_Type, which I named using Formulas > Defined Names > Create from selection > Create names from values in the: [highlight #FCE94F]Left Column[/highlight] having previously selected B58:C58.

dik may have an unusually slow processing machine.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

>
I used the indirect function in the data validation to link to the Section type. This is by reference to the cell C60 and not to a variable name. I want to be able to copy the information to blank space below so I can have maybe 20 different beam designs using either W or C Sections.

I left my usb at the office so, I'll post it tomorrow. My office machine is extremely slow, about a Core -4 <G> and runs on a network (everything is routed through a city, half a country away). My desktop at home is at the other end of the scale with a ASUS Maximus VII Impact MB, water cooled i7 4790 4G processor, 16G RAM, 512 M.2 SSD on PCIe and a 980 GTX video card.

I use MS Office at work and LibreOffice at home...

Dik

Is this some new issue that needs a reply?
I want to be able to copy the information to blank space below so I can have maybe 20 different beam designs using either W or C Sections.

Skip,
[sub]

I still cannot determine if you have an unaddressed issue for our attention and if so, what might be the question. Was your last upload simply FYI or something related to a question?

Skip,
[sub]

works fine with the little tweak... only have to set tabs to various section types and have the first column as the unsorted list and the second column as the sorted list for the data table and that the property columns are the same for each type of section.

Dik

Skip, IDS and others... been a great help, just looking for more options to use the Indirect Function...

Thanks, Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back