Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refile problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubalibre000

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2006
IT
Hi,
we have 120000 files parts to convert to the new NX8 version.
100000 files was refilled successfully, but 20000 have error during the refile.
GTAC hasn't find the problem and then the solution.
We came from NX7, so I ask if the open-save-close file has the same result of refile.
I read about the John argument on the lightweight faceted regeneration that use or not use the part tolerance, but sincerely I didn't understand if some customer default setting can produce the same result like the refile during a simple open-save-close file.
Maybe an open-save-close file is better then nothing ?[bigsmile]
I would like to take advantage of the lightweight because on the refilled part the time to open and save big assembly is impressive.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Opening a file and resaving it is certainly better than doing nothing.

As for the lightweight representations, without using the refile option, it takes a lot of extra work to get the new lightweight representations to use what might be a better set of default tolerances than what the legacy models were originally created at.

To do it manually, which means while doing the 'open & save' workflow, you would have to, after opening the file, go to...

Assemblies -> Advanced -> Representations...

...and manually delete any existing 'faceted' models (i.e. 'representations') and then reset the tolerances BEFORE saving the model, which would then create new 'representations' using these new tolerances. However, this requires an 'Advanced Assemblies' license, while running refile and using the option to completely replace the old 'representations' with new ones based on the new Customer Default tolerances does NOT require any special license.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John... (from memory), isn't there a Customer Default setting that Deletes the Legacy Representations? E.G. Assemblies | Site Standards | Lightweight Reference Set Removal Remove All

or does this not do what is required by this user?

NXherbie
NX7.5.3 / TCe 2007

Removing the Lightweight Reference Sets is NOT the same as deleting the Lightweight Reprensentations. This is merely an option which allows you to do a little 'housekeeping' since starting with NX 7.5 there was no longer any need to maintain separate Reference Sets, one for the exact model and one for the lightweight version. This Customer Default option simply allows the user to control whether he wishes to retain these now obsolete Reference Sets are not. The OOTB default is to remove them, but since some customer may have developed custom workflows based on having these Reference Sets available, this option was added to allow them to keep them intact. But. as I've already stated, this has NO impact whatsoever on the legacy lightweight representations (i.e. faceted bodies) themselves.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back