Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reflux condenser with steam / lean air / toluene vapor feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

silebilee

Chemical
Mar 27, 2012
US
The reactant such as polyol, inhibitor and solvent added to the reactor. The reactor is heated up to 110°C, and keep the temperature at the fixed value then to cool to 60°C to use water to wash out the excess acrylic acid. Then the polyester acrylate will be distillated and cooling by reflux condenser to recovery the solvent (toluene). We use the as following as HTRI input, feed (toluene 3.7kg/hr) , oxygen(2.4kg/hr)/Nitrogen(45kg/hr) lean gas. The oxygen gas/steam is to purge solvent vapor in the distillation tank to the reflux condenser then to remove solvent (toluene) through vacuum stripping (10mbar).

My question is that
1. Toluene boiling point is about 110~111°C, but we don’t know toluene and water may form the azeotrope or not to lower or raise the boiling point. But, this may not relate to the liquid toluene can’t be condensed from second condenser tube outlet @ 35C.(by my HTRI result, all tube out is vapor form).
2.Although we know we may raise the 2nd condenser tube outlet temperature, this may help the liquid toluene may be condense out.
Could you please give me some help or guidance on this dilemma?

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back