Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

refractive index? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

screenzzzz

Industrial
Dec 16, 2006
US
If a lens was designed for a material with a specific refractive index and the final material came up with a refractive index difference of + .04 how big an effect would it have on the lens performance.

If ones uses the final material what kind of problems could this cause.

Layman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll need to be more specific about what you are looking for:
How big of an effect on what? In other words, what errors are you concerned with? What are the wavelength, environmental, etc. requirements and what performance issues are you concerned with?

Harold
SW2009 SP4.0 OPW2009 SP2 Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

Gary,
I tried to respond to your eamil and it bounced for some reason. Your question:
"I have a lenticular lens plate that was designed for a refractive index of 1.51 and am looking to emboss other plastics, the ones that I am interested in have index's up to 1.54 I am wondering if I am going to have viewing problems of any magnitude caused by said index difference."

If I understand your question (and this is not my strongest area either, I’m the optomechanical person) you should be able to calculate the change in angle of view if you also know the pitch, radius of the lenticule and the center thickness. You can see an example of how to calculate the angle of view at Wikipedia. I think I’d set up a spreadsheet an let it do the work.

I hope that helps you out.

Harold
nVidia Quadro FX4600
www.lumenflow.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens
Please refrain from having side discussions, since no one else is privy to them.

In the case of a lenticular design, unless they are part of a lens system, or part of some complex design, the index makes little difference to an aesthetic design. The basic errors will be slight magnification and focus changes

TTFN

FAQ731-376

In Gary's defense - also from his email:

"Harold for some reason I was unable to find a way of responding to the answer you left."

Don't know why. I agree though that I prefer to keep it on the forum. More input, more benefit to everybody including me.

Harold
nVidia Quadro FX4600

No problems with you, Harold. I neglected to commend you for posting the relevant details from the email you received.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

First of all IRstuff I 100% agree regarding the side conversations, this is why as Harold mentioned I started my response with: "Harold for some reason I was unable to find a way of responding to the answer you left."

Getting on with the thread! I 100% got what I was looking for in the combination of answers from both of you so, thanks a million guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back