Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

refrigeration costing

Status
Not open for further replies.

colonelbogart

Electrical
Jul 29, 2005
PH
Hi everybody,

I am an electrical engineer tasked by our company to head our "ENERCON" team (energy conservation) We are implementing measures to save power and 60% of our energy consumption goes to refrigeration. How can I quantify costs or savings of say closing and opening of doors (between colder and hotter rooms). How much money we can save if we will lower our temp settings to say 2°C? Any cost saving measures on ref system?

Thanks

Bogart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ColonelBogart,

Have you considered checking out ? Your company may be entitled to a free energy survey. If you have a particulary large refrigeration system then the company I work for has a service that can diagnose whether or not the refrigeration system you have is healthy and if not do something about it.

Regards,

MxStar

Is the building using typical programmable set back thermostats for night and weekend? These units raise temp set point for cooling and lower heating temp set point to save energy during unoccupied periods.

Likewise I'm not sure of your climate but in some climates economizer modes are offered on cooling equipment to take advantage of lower outdoor air temperatures to provide essentially free cooling.

Another option you may wish to investigate is demand-based ventilation typically significant savings can be achieved if design implication warrant.

Just a few suggestions you may wish to research if interested I could send you some links.

The questions you are asking is an sub-specialty of the building industry.

You can't possibly be expected to have answers to questions you have never heard before. Hire a guy who does energy audits and manage him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back