Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refuel shut-off valve closing time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura24

May 24, 2010
LV
Hi!
I really hope that somebody can help me.
I need to find closing time for refuel shut-off vales (Any. Best of all would be for motor controled ones). Could anyone tell me how to do it or tell me where I can try to find some information.
I have a belive that it is possible to calculate but I heed your help.
Kind regards,
Laura

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

that's got to depend on the valve ... ask Parker (or someone else or makes fuel systems) there might be a typical time. if you have a special app they might tailor something for you

Most refuel valves I have seen are electrically controlled, but operated by fuel pressure. The only valves I have seen motor operated are crossfeed valves and shutoff valves (with a specified cycle time of less than 3 seconds), and a normal cycle time of 1 second.
The actual time will depend on the actual valve and application. Size of the valve, pressure and flow, power source and actuator size all are factors.
What would happen to the aircraft if the power fails during a refuel and your valve isn't able to be energized closed? That is the main reason most aircraft have 2 refuel valves in the tank, and either can shut off the flow once the fuel level reaches the maximum depth for that tank. Even if electrical power is interupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back