Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Refueling fires Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"vacuum retract system? Hmmmmm. That's what they tell us!
Also they (the AQMD) blame the higher cost of fuel in California on the need for these systems that , according to them, have removed XXXX tons of hydrocarbons from the air we chew---I'm sorry---breath. Actually the air quality is greatly improved from the 60's here in the L.A. basin. To the point that we are no longer #1 on the EPA's hit list.

Rod

Whenever people grizzle about the greenies I am always uncomfortably aware that the greenies were right about LA's smog. It has also done the rest of us a favour - CAFE and smog drove us to multi point fuel injection, and that has been the best thing for engines in a long time. Although it has removed a lot of black magic from the game. Cheers

Greg Locock

Supposedly, the boot seal is to allow the vapor recovery system to work properly. But even in California, particularly outside of metropolitan areas, there is not necessarily the full-up configuration. That might be something that's allowed by the Air Resources Board.
TTFN

Greg
It MIGHT NOT be obvious to everyone, take politicians for example.
Flareman, I expect the main problems, as already aluded to by IRstuff, is the existing infrastructure, existing cars, various regulating bodies, portability of cars, and compatibility of existing and proposed systems over a very long interim period, would make the solution very expensive, especially when it appears that this problem occurs much less often than lightning strike.
Maybee that is one off the causes? (Just kidding). Regards
pat

Just an addenda to Rod's comments.

When I was going to school in Pasadena in the 70's, we had trouble seeing the San Gabriel mountains during the summertime. The catch was that Pasadena is essentially in the foothills of the mountains and peaks are less than 10 miles away.

After school, I worked in Huntington Beach in a 4 story building. We left work by an outside stairway. We had a guy from CMU who started work immediately after graduating in June. One day, in October, while leaving work via those outside stairs, he shouts, "are those mountains out there? How come I haven't seen them before this?"

The air here is definitely better than it was 30 years ago. Can't even remember when the last smog alert occurred. Can't remember much else, but that's another story...
TTFN

Yes, EFI has turned out a good thing, but let us not forget it wasn't a seamless transition- remember the clogging problems of the early '80's and the old mechanics excuse "that's the best we can do because of the emissions controls." And as with air bags, I can't believe that the government gets all the credit and market forces had nothing to do with it. Nevertheless your point is well taken. But even the ARBs acknowledge that the root cause is too many people in the geography, and they are only holding fingers in the dike with increasingly restrictive legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back