Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Regadring thermocouple sensor and calibration

freetown

Electrical
Mar 1, 2024
MR
Hi all,

I have few questions, would like to understand about thermocouple sensors working:

1- We have some thermoucouple sensors (type T), the distance between sensors and transmitters is about 200m. As the thermoucouple output is few millivolts, is this distance can causes drop voltage and then has an effect on thermocouple's accuracy?

2- What happens if somebody reverses the polarity of a T thermocouple? Will we still have accurate value? It happens once on one sensor and we have 4 thermocouple in almsot the same area. We noticed that the reversed one is only 4 or 5 degree higher than the rest, what is the explanation for that?

3- We use dry-well to calibrate PT100 and thermocouple sensors. When we find a difference between the indication and the value of calibration (let's say dry-well is 60 degree and indication of sensor is 50) and the calibration of transmitter is ok, is the only solution in this case is to replace the sensor as we have no way to adjust sensor internally?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1:
Modern instruments use a potentiometer circuit which which balances a reference voltage against the TC voltage so that there is no current flow and so no voltage drop.
3:
Poor contact between the dry well and the TC element.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

2:
Polarity has to be correct; the thermocouple junction produces a potential difference that is a function of the two different metals in the junction, and swapping leads inverts the apparent potential and will result in a bogus reading. This is why thermocouple couple connectors are usually polarized with different sized contacts. Some meters might be able to figure this out and correct the measurement, but having it correct simplifies things.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

1. Better quality instruments with a thermocouple input will spec what the maximum resistance is, per leg, for a thermocouple input. The spec sheet on my desk for a Honeywell controller has a spec of 100 Ohms per leg for any Type thermocouple. There are charts on the web with resistance per foot or per double foot of Type T extension wire. This came up recently and I discovered that Type T extension wire is not readily available in wire heavier than 20G.

There is no explanation of the effect on excessive resistance on the input accuracy, but it probably has something to do with the operation of the analog input's instrumentation amplifiers.

2. If you reverse the polarity of the extension wire running from the thermocouple to the analog input, then you do have an accuracy issue, and there's no documented correction on the error effect of mis-wired thermocouple circuits and I've looked. Extension wire polarity reversal creates an additional junction that contributes an EMF that is not accounted for in the published thermocouple tables, so there's no work around unless you want to do the research to document what magnitude error that particular junction adds or subtracts (without knowing what temperature that added junction is at).

A thermocouple with proper wiring polarity from hot junction to cold junction, but that is wired backwards on the analog input will just drive the signal in the wrong direction.

3. Correct, there is no adjustment of a thermocouple or RTD temperature sensor to correct the sensor output for a given temperature. Any correction adjustment is done at the analog input/system level, using the deviation documented during a sensor calibration using some heat/cooling source, presumably with traceable temperature indicator certification.

Be aware that the ANSI spec is used in North America as the standard for commercial thermocouples. ANSI standard error is ±1°C (-67° to 133°) for a Type T thermocouple and ±0.5°C (over same range) for a limit-of-error thermocouple.

Every place I've been involved with would consider a 10°C sensor error as way out of tolerance for at a Type T thermocouple and would consider it a bad thermocouple and would replace it.

I have the following opinion for your consideration.
1. Transmitter is about 200 m would affect the accuracy. It is affected by besides the voltage drop, more importantly is by the electromagnetic interferences; switching and motor etc.
Suggestion: Relocate the transmitter (which is of very small in size) to as close to the thermocouple as possible.
Note: the transmitter output say 4-20 mA to the indicating instruments is NOT very sensitive to interference.
2. Observe the polarity strictly. All thermocouples are either marked + - or with colour code. Attention: Marking and colour code differ between OEMs.
3. Immerse the PT 100 and the thermocouple in a wet-bath of oil or water with a volume of say > 2 L. They shall be at the same level and take reading after say > 30 min in an environment that is not affected by any draft.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Other possible sources of error include inadvertently using a different type of thermo-couple, or having the test set set to the wrong type of thermo-couple.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Back