Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Dimensions Associativity query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManikUG

Automotive
Jul 11, 2012
US
Dear Friends,

I've a query regarding Dimension associativity. I took vertical dimensioning for two edges in the Drawing.

When I'm trying to re-associate to some other edges which are Horizontal, its not working and it is coming as 0.

The thing is I could not re-associate that to any other angled edges.

Please help me, Is there anyway to do that?

Regards,

ManikUG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guees that didn't quite work the way I thought it would, because it seems to me like if the dimension is down as horizontal it cannot be changed to vertical.
Umless someone else knows a way to do that.

That's correct. While you can edit the objects/points which a dimension is referencing, you cannot edit the TYPE of the dimension. A Vertical Dimension, once created, will always behave as a Vertical Dimension, etc.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

NO. The term 'Inferred' does not refer to a particular type of dimension, but rather to a scheme where the system will 'infer' from what you select as to what type of dimension you were intending to create. So after you select one or more objects (depending on the type of object selected) the system will offer you one or more possible dimension types which you can usually preview by moving your cursor around until you see the dimension that you desired. However, once you accept the dimension, it will be created AS the type that was implied. So if it looks like a Vertical Dimension that's what you'll get.

Now there is some that you can do that will give you some more flexibility when it comes time to edit the dimension. As far as linear dimensions are concerned try using Perpendicular and Point-to-Point whenever possible since in many cases they can be used instead of Horizontal and Vertical. Now becareful because in reality every dimension type handles a particular situation and while some might appear to be redundant, this is never a general case. They are different, but sometimes you can leverage their individual behaviors to your advantage.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Thanks John and Jerry for the replies..
So as per my understanding, We can't edit the vertical or Horizontal dimension once created, Instead we can use Perpendicular and point to point.
In that case, Will the angle of the dimension is editable?

Regards,
ManikUG

I think you missed the point. The difference between Horizontal and Vertical dimensions is that they are related to a fixed frame of reference independent of the objects being dimensioned. This means that no matter what I reselect when editing one of these dimensions their sense of 'orientation' will remain fixed. However, the 'orientation' of Perpendicular and point-to-Point dimensions are dependent on the objects being referenced. Redefining these objects will redefine the 'orientation' of the dimension as well. Now as I stated, this many not always be practical since each dimension type fulfills some specific case, but there are situations were they can be substituted and which will then provide more flexibility when and if it comes time to edit them in such a way that you can alter their orientation as well as what they're referencing.

That being said, it might just be easier to use the dimension types they work for what you need and if the conditions change to where that choice is no longer valid, just DELETE the original dimension and create a new one the way you need it to be. Sometimes trying to second guess some future scenario is not worth the extra time pondering what might work better if I need to edit something later in an unexpected manner.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Toost,
That is Exactly I want and it is working for me. Thanks....:)

John,
That's correct to delete the dimension and adding again will solve the problem. But I'm using that dimension in one customized tool called Stack Manager in which If I delete it and add again means I've to do lot of changes. That's why...:) Time being I'll use perpendicular or point to point dimension and that is working for me..Thanks:)

Regards,
ManikUG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back