Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Intersection Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

IEngr

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2016
IN
Hi,
We know that creating intersection line between two planes is not possible in NX 8.5. Is there any other option through which I can create a point or curve at an intersection of planes.

Thanks and Regards,
Isha

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For Intersection of two plane, you can use intersection curve.
OR you can create line sketch on either of plane and make it co-linear constrained to other plane.

Thanks,
Jignesh

yes, intersection curve will give non associative infinite curve.

Other option is to use sketch on one plane and make your line co-linear to another plane.

Thanks,
Jignesh

IEngr,

What do you need your curves to be associated to? If it is the position of the Datum Planes, I suggest the following:
- Creating two planar faces that are linked to their respective Datum Planes
- Extend them to physically intersect if needed
- Create your intersection curve using these construction planes
- Hide the sheets in a Layer

You now have a curve that will move location if you move the original datum planes are moved.

Felix K. Holloway
Design Ninja | NX 9/10

Come on, How hard can it be for Siemens to make the resulting line from 2 planes associative to the planes. I've used Catia for many years; using an 3D intersection is so very common. I understand the work-arounds, but really, when is Siemens going to "Fix" this; work-arounds shouldn't be the only option for something so fundimental and basic. Has Siemens ever addressed this to the users? Does Siemens have an enhancement/improvement request like Dassault does for Catia?

t300Master, thanks for you suggestion, Please explain the steps to create a reference line from 2 planes with associativity as you suggested. I've tried this in 3D, but I don't see that option in the intersect dialog; the only thing I see is the associative button which does not work when selecting 2 planes. FYI, I am currently learning NC, Ive been a Catia user for many years.

Hello

look at the attached NX part file. The Datum axis is an endless assoziative intersection between the datum planes of the csys and Datum plane (1).
As I described if you need real lines with a start and an end point you need more Input then just the intersection planes oder faces.
I've projected the Point of the csys onto the planes and then connect the points with simple lines.

For other situations you maybe could try the combined projection command.

HTH

Meinolf

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=21d54d90-58f3-4f0c-969c-3ce78d955dd8&file=intersection.zip
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back