Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Regarding lateral torsional buckling bracing

kaffy

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2020
CA

Good Morning Fellow Engineers,

I am working on a structure with two W40x324 beams spaced 10 feet apart, each carrying a concentrated load of 150 kips at mid-span on the top flange (attached showing AISC, YURA reference and loading condition) . My goal is to prevent lateral-torsional buckling (LTB) in accordance with AISC requirements. Since LTB is a concern with the length, I am designing bracing to reduce the effective lateral span. From my research, AISC Appendix 6 provides the necessary checks for both required flexural strength and flexural bracing. I plan to use a W21x44 section diaphragm for bracing, attaching it to transverse stiffeners positioned near the top flange of the beams. While the required flexural strength checks out, for bracing stiffness, I’ve found guidance from Yura, which suggests that if a diaphragm is used, the available stiffness can be either 6EIb/s or 2EIb/s. Since there’s no slab, I was planning to use the 2EIb/s as avalible stiffness. As this is my first time designing bracing for LTB, I would appreciate it if a senior engineer could confirm whether I’ve covered all the necessary checks or if anything might be missing.

Thank You

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=760d85dd-82b8-47d0-8ef3-2f5dff7dd706&file=Loading_Condition,_AISC_and_Yura_reference.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the span of your W40 beams? Simply "bracing" with W21x44 doesn't mean it is braced, see image attached. I can't downloaded the attachment but I will check online
Untitled_sc8vs2.png

Ref AISC chapter 16 J10 for additional checks
-Most of them will be valid for your concentrated load

The span is 45 feet. I think you're referring to system buckling, where both elements buckle simultaneously and behave as a single unit. Is that correct?

Yes, that's what I am talking about. Yura's reference will be great as he did lots of research of that. There's one paper of his I read some time ago that highlight some these issues

Back