Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Patch Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IEngr

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2016
IN
hi,
Capture1_t28tl3.jpg

As you see in the above image, the fillet area is created by through curve mesh feature. The surface is tangent to the above and bottom surface. Now when i patch this surface with the solid, the above error comes. I am not able to analyse why this error came, since it is closed loop. Kindly help.

Isha
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the blend run around a closed loop? It appears not to in the pic; if this is the case, do the "end cap" edges of the blend meet up with the side faces?

Have you tried reversing the direction of the target region and/or the tool direction?

www.nxjournaling.com

The error message normally means that the edges of your tool sheet body are longer away from the target than the "patch tolerance". (expand the settings in that dialog, try make the patch tolerance larger.)
When you run the patch feature, all outer edges of the tool sheet must lie on the target body, it must be water tight.

The patch feature has a patching tolerance, increasing this will make the feature do the job, but if you need a large tolerance , there will be an gap the size of the tolerance in the resulting model where the tolerance applies. In NX perspective, the edges does meet, within the tolerance.

If this does the trick, you can try go back to the curve mesh and tighten that tolerance and then keep the patch tolerance.

Regards,
Tomas

In other words, the surface(s) MUST ENCLOSE A VOLUME or fully intersect with the solid body. Using Patch for blending will be hit and miss - it might be easier to perform this with surfacing rather than hybrid modeling.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.3.4 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back