Regarding preheating methods by P-number and thickness on ASME codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie2211

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2022
KR
Hello.
My team director asked to organize preheat standard and PWHT standard.
One of references the director gave me -outdated standard- showed that one is from ASME code.
I struggled to find out the methods on ASME B31.1 and BPVC Section 9.
But I couldn't find it.
Is there anyone who knows where is the standard?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@Newbie2211

Preheating and PWHT requirements governs with construction code, tell what equipment you are looking for fabrication then i will answer you the with necessary references.

Fahad

You will not find anything regarding preheat or PWHT in section IX.

If you missed preheat and PWHT requirements in B31.1, I suggest you go back and re-read it. Preheat and PWHT requirements are in there.

You can see in ASME IX TABLES QW if Preheat and PWHT is essential, supplementary essential and nonessential welding variables.

Regards.

If you are working with Section III NB, you might want to look up Table NB-4622.1-1 regarding PWHT. Another Table NB-4622.7(b)-1 indicates the situations in which you must do preheat if you want to exempt PWHT.

Section IX does not recommend any preheat and PWHT parameters. It only tells some rules regarding preheat and PWHT to be done in production welds GIVEN that you have done/not done preheat & PWHT in qualification coupon.

Generally, it is for the construction code to specify rules for preheat/PWHT in production welds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back