Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Storm Drainage

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbuck

Civil/Environmental
Oct 1, 2002
US

Can anyone tell me what is a "Bubbler". What is it's use? If it does not work will that cause flooding on the street?
I really appreciate any good info that you can throw my way

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The definition for "Bubbler" shifts but in essence it was created around the mid to late 70's as a means to convey stormwater flows from one side of an intersection to another. Imagine if you will, an intersection with flow entering from the north. Instead of installing a cross pan to the south side of the intersection you install a grate inlet, capturing the flow, pipe it to the south side of the street where there is a second grate inlet. Stormwater flows backup in the pipe until it has enough pressure to "Bubble" out of the southern inlet and continue on its way. Confined stormwater would be allowed to und in a closed system such as the one described. This is an older design concept that municilpalities used and many are now removing them, milling the street, and installing crosspans simply because there was never any maintence done on the Bubbler system and the solids filtered out when the stormwater evaporated and clogged the pipes.

Nowadays the termonology seems to float towards an inlet on a network system that surcharges. Instead of not working its described as a "Bubbler" and drainage analysis is performed on the flows as they bypass the ineffective inlet and continue on their way...whether its over an emergency overflow or just sits and ponds.

You are right that if they clog they will flood the street. However, most designs have emergency overflows like a high point in the road, the crown, etc.

HTH

BigDog23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back