Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regeneration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysmique

Chemical
Mar 21, 2004
TN
can you indicate me the best method to regenerate an activated carbon which is saturated with mercaptans ( ethyl, methyl et propyl mercaptans)

thanks advanced!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

etoile,

What type of carbon is it? If it an impregnated type which is commonly used for mercaptans and other sulphur containing compounds then you will likely be unable to regenerate, as you will remove the impregnated compound (such as KOH impregnated activated carbon, you will remove the KOH) thereby completely altering adsorption characteristics, or possible rendering your carbon ineffective as a worst case scenario.

Otherwise the most common method of regenerating activated carbon is by steam wherein you are using a temperature swing adsorption process. Keep in mind though that when you regeneratre your carbon by steam regeneration you are effectively causing chemical stripping so you need to think carefully of where this steam is going to go. Otherwise you may inadvertantly create the same source of pollutant (in you case R-SH) in your regeneration stream.

The second method is by pressure swing adsorption which in my experience/opinion is less common. This process is controlled by altering the pressure within the adsorption column so as to lower the adsorptive properties of your carbon. Without access to the type of carbon and the isotherms that go with aforementioned carbon I can not give you a value.

Trust this helps, my suggestion is contact the carbon vendor and request information specific to your carbon, secondly if you are not familiar with adsorption and regeneration I would suggest that you have the supplier detail regeneration procedure for you.

Cheers.

the type of activated carbon I use is NORIT RB03

etoile,

By RB03 I take it you mean NORIT RB 3, if this is the case I can only surmise that it is similar to RB4 which I know of, then it is not an impregnated type carbon, but is an extruded steam activated carbon. I was concerned that you were using a carbon such as NORIT ROZ3 which is an impregnated type designed for sulfur containing compounds.

Note: It is my experience, (and I have had not had many dealings with NORIT over this issue by the way), that NORIT prefer to regenerate there own Carbon in-house.

This is not to say that you can't do it yourself. I would contact NORIT direct for information. I deal direct with engineers out of asia, But you can get the information from your local distributor.

Goodluck.

many thanks for your help,
I have had contacted NORIT by e-mail but I don't yet received any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back