Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regreasable Bearing Housing Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotorEng

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2003
US
I am developing a new product and I am looking for a good text on the design of regreasable bearing housings. Can anyone recommend anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to consider an overflow feature that allows an outlet against overfilling. Also, you may want to put bleed holes near remote locations that are starved for grease. We had a worm gear that had trouble receiving an initial charge of grease until a small bleed was located near the critical location.

I can't help you with a textbook, but Loher motors has a technical guide online that shows a cross-sectional view of their regreasable motors, it includes an overflow for excess grease as well as a ring to remove the excess grease. It's in german, but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

then click on the top document to download the file in .pdf format. It's on page 24.

The last company I worked for used the same kind of design on their machines and it worked very well. Mike Bensema

To Mike Bensema,

Thanks for pointing out the german article on greased bearings. However, everytime I download, it does not open, as I think the file is corrupted. I would certainly appreciate it if you would do me a favor and send the file you downloaded, to my e-mail address:

abdulrahman.khowaiter@aramco.com

Thanks for your assistance,

Abdul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back