Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforce / Repair Wood Support Column with Checking 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke C

Computer
Jan 3, 2024
US
Hi all,

I'm new here, and I hope I'm posting to the right place.

I purchased a home about a year ago, and noticed some serious checking in a column in my living room. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse over a year, but I would like to reinforce it as much as possible. I am also willing to pay to have a professional do this, but wanted to know what the best method would be before shopping it around.

I'm including a photo of the post – since it runs up into the ceiling and down into the basement, replacing seems like it would be awfully complicated... I was told by an engineer they make teflon / steel straps that could at least hold the checking in place. Other suggestions have included through-bolts to hold it.

Any advice would be super helpful. Thank you in advance!
IMG_5888_vnjsl8.jpg
IMG_5888_qq5quz.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally not concerned with the checking if it isn't getting worse. If you just can't sleep well, use some thru bolts with a decent sized washer on it to help from crushing when you tighten everything and move on.

Often, these checks don't extend very deep into the timber and are not a major concern. Of course, it's impossible to make a definitive evaluation here, but I would tend to not be too concerned if this were my house. You can monitor this over time to see if it gets worse.

From the pictures, the timbers appear to be straight, meaning that they don't appear to be experiencing any significant buckling under load. In most cases, for a timber like this to fail, it would need to be bowing outward significantly.

As noted above, if you're still concerned, some thru bolts with plate washers might have some benefit. Be sure to use washers without sharp edges since this is exposed in a living space.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Certainly part of it is my own "ability to sleep" – multiple knowledgable folks have told me not to worry, but it just seems odd.

Does it change any of this analysis if the column seems to be "twisting" slightly? You can see in the drywall at the top that it's pushed it out a bit from a twisting motion.

Also, if anyone has tips for "monitoring" it for changes, that would be helpful as well – I took pictures with a tape measure held up against the cracks / edges of drywall, but it's certainly nowhere near precise.

Appreciate all the help!

To monitor take some pieces of clear packing tape and a fine line Sharpe.
Put pieces of tape with a line on them (line running across crack also) across the crack in a couple of places.
Then cut the tape with a razor knife.
If the ends of the tape start to gap then the crack is opening.
If the lines misalign then it means that the wood is twisting.
Most likely this wood was only surface dry when it was installed and being in a house all these years has dried it out.
If you want to do something then go about 7' up and through drill and bolt.
But I have seen similar things often without there being any issue.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Are you referring to bow tie shaped wood inserts, inletted into the column across the crack? I've seen those used with quality wood planked floors of over 100years ago. With wood pins to the flooring beams/joists in lieu of nails.

Those with epoxy injection would be an attractive repair.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Luke_C said:
Does it change any of this analysis if the column seems to be "twisting" slightly? You can see in the drywall at the top that it's pushed it out a bit from a twisting motion.
This wouldn't change my level of concern.

Without providing an actual on-site structural assessment (including removing finishes concealing the top and bottom of the post), I don't think anybody can offer any absolute advice. With that said, based on a lot of experience of my own, this looks to me like a typical timber post, where some minor checking and twisting is normal. Go in any timber framed barn and you'll see posts and beams that look like this everywhere.

If the various feedback from this thread doesn't ease your concern, then definitely hire a local structural engineer to take a look. Perhaps there is something problematic that isn't being conveyed by the photo.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I just taped guides across the crack and at a few places along the top to track the twisting.

Will monitor over the next few months, and will definitely consult a structural engineer if my worries don't subside :D

Cheers all!

You may want to watch it for a full year.
It could be that it moves as temperature and humidity change.
And then it moves back later.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I've seen similar checking in columns of multi-storey timber framed buildings in Toronto, including the timber beams... not a concern.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

To take this in a different direction, at what point do people actually become concerned? I don't do a lot of wood, but when I end up in this sort of thing I generally find that the literature agrees that even reasonably significant checking often isn't an actual problem. Even in bending, things generally seem to continue working, presumably, friction is doing the shear flow transfer.

There's obviously a point where it's a problem though. Is that point just 'the structure is in visible distress', or do people have their own criteria? Like, when do you start worrying about buckling issues?

TLHS, most literature agrees that checking beyond 1/3 member depth is when it becomes an issue. It also becomes an issue if there is global member instability (edit: bending, twisting, or large eccentric loading).

dik said:
Are you referring to bow tie shaped wood inserts, inletted into the column across the crack?

Yes, an inlay wood bow tie. Epoxy might be a little harder for a vertical surface and taking the column down seems like more hassle than its worth. A bow tie is easy enough with a router and chisel.

I haven't seen those for over 20 years and then only in two different structures, both included wood 'pins' in lieu of nails. Just beautiful construction and workmanship. I've even seen stair opening framing done with mortise and tenon... a different age of construction.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Through bolts are ugly...

-----*****-----

-Dik

If you go with thru bolts, countersink the ends/nuts, put some locktite on the threads, then wrap the column with something for aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back