Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforce wood beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiberec

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm a mechanical engineer (machine design) and I would like to remove a supporting column in my basement. I will eventually figure out what is the load psf (plus adding a few feet of snow). I've attached a drawing to make things clear (see link below)

(
The 6" x 9" wood beam is actually supported at both ends by the foundation. Additionally, there are 2 columns. I would like to leave one in place and remove the other one. The span would go from 12 feet up to 20 feet.

My first idea was to add either 1 wood beam on each side or 1 C channel on each side. The new beams would not be supported at each ends. I can't add anything underneath because the head clearance is already small.

My questions are: what type of connection can be used and what is the best approach to calculate the stress and deformation of the new assembly?

Thanks to all!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just as I wouldn't attempt to perform surgery on myself or design a generator, I wouldn't advise you to do structural engineering. Hire a structural engineer and get it designed right. You don't want to miss something and have your house fall down.

There is no reason you can't do what you want to do. But remember a couple things:

1) The existing column may have to get bigger because it will be supporting more load including the foundation possibly. Also the end walls will see more load but I assume they are masonry or concrete and should not be really effected.

2) Check the wood beam for bearing at each end because the new reactions will be carried by the existing beam alone if the add-on does not go to the end.

3) I would calculate the stress assuming the new beam carry everthing (except for the bearing) or you can to a composite type section but slippage may change what load goes where.

4) The connections you have are fine with the thru-bolts. The loads due to your house are probably very small and what you are showing should be fine.

And if you are comfortable removing columns from YOUR house I guess everyone else should be too.

it looks like you're adding a wall. can you make this wall load-bearing?

be VERY careful as to where discontinuities in the existing beam occur. even with supplemental steel/wood bolted to either side, if there's a "break" in the older material you don't have full moment capacity of the section.

I would just shore your floor system, remove the old beam on the left side of the floor plan, and place a new one that spans to that new wall you're building.

I tend to agree with JedClampett. Retain an engineer to do a proper job. I don't know what your building authority requires, but if it were here, you would be required to submit a drawing sealed by a structural engineer.

BA

I assume that your 6x9 beam is that size partly because of dimensional constraints (head clearance). Given that, it would be difficult to go from a 12-foot span to a 20-foot span without excessive stress increases and deflection, even with nominal reinforcement. Further, as Vandede427 noted, discontinuities in the existing beam are more prominent when you go to such spans. Bottom line....get a structural engineer involved...this is not something you want solved in a few lines of text in a forum. Then engineer needs to see the conditions and design accordingly.

Agree with the SE suggestion here.

Regarding the beam, the shear will be almost doubled, the stress tripled and the deflection more than quadrupled. You still need to check the footing(s), column size, and connections.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back