Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforced Concrete Joint Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotlboys

Civil/Environmental
May 31, 2015
TL
I have encountered some books emphasizing that there is no fully-fixed or hinged joint conditions in reinforced concrete. On the other hand, steel structures may give us better understanding through joint connections (bolting and/or welding).
I am aware that RC joint condition has something to do with assumptions during analysis and detailing of rebars. But may I have more insights to better address this confusion.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's more difficult with concrete, but you can develop a better degree of fixity than many take advantage of. It depends to some extent on the manner of construction. If, for example, you have an elevator shaft with right angle walls, with a slab attached to the walls, and the construction sequence is that the slab is cast over the concrete wall and a keyway is not used and the next elevator wall is cast over the concrete slab 'pinching' the slab between the walls, I would treat the slab as being nearly 'perfectly' fixed at the wall. If you have a concrete beam cast into a wall and you can develop the reinforcing, then as long as the beam is shallow compared to the wall, I would normally consider that as being fixed... but, depending on circumstances, may add a little more bottom steel to the beam...

Dik

Thank you Dik for bringing your actual experience to explain this confusion. I definitely agree that slabs and beams cast monotonically with reinforced walls shall be assumed fully fixed to supports (walls).
How about [1] beams/girders cast monotonically with columns (given that they are part of moment resisting frames) and [2] moment resisting columns with their supporting footings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back