Reinforced concrete rectangular column orientation/direction in plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSh2

Structural
Oct 2, 2019
US
Hi,
My question is about reinforced concrete rectangular columns orientation, i had heard somewhere that the longer dimension of column should be orientated along the shorter direction of frame or a building, but I am not very sure about it, if someone could give me some clarification i would be grateful.
I hope I have asked the question clearly enough.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that depends on what the architect has allowed for, and how much stiffness you need in each direction. Obviously there is higher strength and stiffness in the long direction of the column, so do you need the added strength and stiffness for moment frame action, or out of plane wind loads?

@jayrod12
Sir, My question is that, as a structural engineer how should one orientate rectangular columns in a structure that is subjected to dead, live, seismic/wind loads??
Just for an example i have attached a plan of a building which has rectangular columns. This is a three story real existent structure. I know the designer might have his own reasons, but is there a general criteria for this??
P.S. I don't know the designer of this building
20191102_212413_yrsjau.jpg

but is there a general criteria for this??
No general criteria.

For longer rectangular buildings it may make sense to orient the columns strong direction to resist higher loads as jayrod12 suggests.

OP said:
but is there a general criteria for this??

There is some logic in this for lateral loads as one might attempt to strike a balance between (using your example):

1) Lateral capacity in the short direction where you have fewer participating columns per frame and greater stiffness at each column oriented strong axis and;

2) Lateral capacity in the long direction where you have more participating columns per frame and less stiffness at each column oriented weak axis.

While this makes intuitive sense, my experience has been that other project concerns will dominate over this particular concern in most instances. I have indeed oriented some columns for just this reason but I can count the number of instances of that on one hand in two decade career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back