Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforced Masonry Wall Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKS71

Structural
Jul 1, 2008
US
Gentlemen,

I am studying for the PE Exam using the NCEES Structural I sample question book. The question I am having trouble with is as follows:
Determine the maximum allowable moment on the masonry wall based on the maximum allowable steel flexural stress.

The wall is 8" block with #5's @ 24" o.c.

This should be just M = As*Fs*j*d
For some reason the solution calculates M (allow) using an As of 0.31/2. Is there a reason to only allow for half the area of steel?

There have been 19 pages of errata for this study guide so I guess my confidence is low in some of the accuracy.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am also studying for the PE exam, Str II. The examples in the NCEES Structural II had some errors as well.

To answer your questions, the reason As is 0.31/2 is because the given wall reinforcing are #5 at 24" oc.
I hope this helps.

FSAZ

I'm not familiar with the text you are referencing and have not seen the full sample problem, but I am guessing that they are dividing by 2 feet because the bars are at 24 inches on center. This will give you a solution in Area of Steel (or Moment Capacity, depending on how you are looking at it) PER FOOT, which is typically how moment capacity and steel area is calculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back