Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinforcement connected to earthing cable 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aladdin76

Civil/Environmental
Dec 10, 2005
US
Hello all
In a reinforced concrete structure, is it ok to connect earthing cable to the foundation reinforcement, I think this will induce electrochemical corrosion; I looked through ACI222r and found nothing in regard. .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you'll find the copper cable failing before the steel rebar. Grounding cables are often cadwelded directly to the steel in foundation mats for generators and such. Only problems I'm aware of is the failure of the cable at the ground rod connection.

It is a standard construction technique in electrical design to use building steel, both re-bar in footings and structural steel members as grounding electrodes. The connections are now usually made with an exothermic weld that produces a permanent fused connection between the copper cable and the steel member. It does not corrode and does not induce corrossion in the steel. Look at for information on their cadweld products. You should be satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back