Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinforcement material in rubber matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

candychan

Structural
Jun 18, 2003
CN
Hello,everyone

I am looking for the reinforcement material in rubber matrix.As far as I know,nylon66 is the widely used material in tyre and air spring,but it's not very ideal for the unstability with tempreture.It's said Kevlar is very good but very expensive.
Could anyone give me some suggestions on the material type and their mechanical properties?
Thanks very much.

Candy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear rnd2,Thanks for your help.
For I am not familar with the materials,could you tell me where can I find the machanial property with PET and PP fiber?
Thanks

Dear rnd2,
Thanks for your imformation.

What do you think about those materials?
If it's applied in air spring,do you think which one is better,considering both the performance and the costs?

Thanks.
Have a nice day.

candychan, material selection is certainly important but I believe equally important for something like an air spring would be fibre direction as well as the overall shape of the item.
From a material perspective:
Fibre resilience within a defined temperature range.
For example if the temperature could be expected to exceed 65 deg C PET & PP fibre could be ruled out.
Steel wire, and glass fibre are good candidate materials that are still cost effective.

Dear rnd2,I completely agree with your opinion.

The material selection,the fibre direction and the shape of the overall shape are all important factors for the air spring design.

Presently I am looking for a kind of fiber with slim size and high modulus and stable with a varied temperature ranging from -50 to 50 centigrade,and also should be easy for canlender coating.

Thanks very much for your help.If you have more imformation about it,I would be very grateful.

Candy

The temp range -50 ~ 50 deg.C. and the requirement to contain cost indicates glass fibre either woven or uni-directional is a candidate material.
Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back