Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinforcement rebars recognition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baires92

Structural
Jul 25, 2008
US
I need to check the design of the communication tower on the existing building. One of the legs of the tower rests on a reinforced concrete beam which design is not available. My question is – up to date exist, and if so, what methods of nondestructive detection of the position and # of the reinforcement rebars in such structures?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several methods of nondestructive examination to gain the information you want. There are several "magnetic" methods, such as the "R-Meter", Ferroscan, and others. There are expensive methods similar to tomography, and there's radiography. If you can tie into the rebar with an electrode, you can heat the rebar with a welding machine and plot the locations with infrared thermography.

Why don't you just save the thread in your archive? You can add notes to the thread when you archive it to help better identify the contents.

I have used once a rebar detector (magnetic) and it was very helpful.

The infared method Ron mentioned seems very interesting.
I would like to see any picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back