Reinforcing wide flange with a plug welded channel - load distribution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorshiloh

Civil/Environmental
Aug 31, 2023
US
Hi all,

I'm working on a job where I'm reinforcing an existing WF shape with a channel on 1 side, centered on the centroid, with plug welds at 16" o.c. also centered on the centroid. The channel does not extend to the supports on either side, but rather stops short. The PM on this job is choosing to put plug welds on the centroid since shear flow is 0, and is arguing that there is no shear transfer, and therefore any weld size, spacing, etc would work and the 16" o.c. is just chosen based on convenience.

I disagree that the shear that the welds see is 0. Yes, the shear flow is 0, but doesn't that just describe horizontal shear from the compression and tension above and below the neutral axis? There is still some vertical load that gets distributed to the channel, and the welds have to transfer that load, or else the channel would not carry any moment nor deflect with the WF. PM said we don't do this check for WT reinforcement underneath the main beam, but this is because at that interface there is compression not shear, i.e. the WT is centered on the WF and is pushing up on it because of the tension in the top face of the WT. You wouldn't transfer compression through the welds.

I have resolved to perform a quick check to see if it is even worth arguing over, by taking the maximum moment in the beam (mix of distributed and point loading), backing out the equivalent distributed load, and checking the welds for that amount of load transfer. This would seem to be conservative because it assumes that all the load is transferred to the channel, when it should depend on the stiffness ratio (?). We were way under capacity, which I figured would be the case.

But this made me think of another scenario, where the loading is applied on the channel instead of the WF. That means the welds have to transfer all of the load, since it eventually has to make its way to the supports. But how would this load distribution look? Would the shear still distribute based on stiffness throughout the length of the channel and jump back into the WF at the last weld? Or would the WF take all the shear throughout? Or a mix of these?
I modeled this (albeit crudely) in RISA, with 2 identical shapes, and found that the more concentric the loading is to the y-axis centroid of the 2 pieces, the more evenly they share the load, but moving the shapes further apart makes one take more, and in the channel's case, dumps it into the WF at the last weld.

To sum up, my questions are as follows:
1. Is there vertical load in the channel that needs to be accounted for, even though shear flow is 0?
2. Is the way I checked this vertical load reasonable?
3. Does the load distribute based on stiffness?
4. How much load goes into the channel if the loading is applied to the WF vs applied to the channel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just some thoughts:

Can you reinforce it using round BAR stock in the fillets of the web to flange (generally the best and least costly), using intermittent welds. Reinforcing by adding channels to the web is not very efficient. If design is not composite, then load taken by channels is proportional to the stiffness (which is generally small compared to the W section. Plug welding is not great to obtain composite action.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Didn't answer your questons:
Yes
Yes Not sure... described in earlier posting.
Yes if not composite
Based on stiffness if not composite.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Is the channel meant to reinforce the WF web for increase in shear strength only? Or are you also trying to increase bending strength?

When I design shear strength reinforcement (usually due to corrosion) I typically use web doubler plates fillet-welded intermittently or all-around (to prevent future water intrusion and pack rust issues). I design the connection for either full uniformly distributed load or a partial load based on stiffness, but I try not to split hairs. Welding isn't cheap, but future corrosion and failed connections aren't either.

I like to think in extremes sometimes...let's say it's true that there's no shear transfer, and your connection strength design is negligible. Well in that case, just slap it on there with some Gorilla glue. Surely load transfer will happen. No, I think you need a proper connection design; otherwise you're just adding dead load to your existing WF.

Even for non-composite action, there has to be some shear transfer to attach the channel to the W section(to get it to deflect)... I suspect...

-----*****-----

-Dik

dik-
Using bar stock seems like a nice approach, never considered this before. The main reason we were looking at a channel is because we don't have room under the beam to stick a WT, which is what we usually do.

Rattlin-
Primarily bending strength from new load added above. The reinforcement does not go all the way to the supports, and the existing section doesn't seem to be compromised. I also thought about that extreme condition, although my hypothetical involved chewing gum instead of Gorilla glue...

In any case I think the channel was already decided on (by others; I should clarify that I'm not as involved in this part of the scope but just happened to be copied on emails). We will stagger the welds to get some distance from the neutral axis so we can yield better composite action. I don't feel great about reinforcing something for bending by connecting only at the neutral axis. It wouldn't actually assist the beam in bending, rather just applying upward shear on the WF, if I'm thinking about this correctly. Wouldn't this put the welds towards the ends in shear in the opposite direction?

I design steel connections for fabricators, and welding BAR stock is generally the most effective. Total steel area is likely less than the C section and cost per pound for BAR stock compared to C section is generally less. You might want to reconsider the use of a Channel.

-----*****-----

-Dik

RattlinBog-
1st one

dik-
I will definitely bring that up. I don't use SMath, but I've heard it's wonderful. I tried to use Mathcad Prime for another job and got fed up with it and reverted to Excel. I still have a perpetual license of MC15 on my personal laptop, but I don't think I can port it over... The PDFs are helpful though, thanks.

If you're just welding a channel to one side of the web of the WF, it's not going to give you a lot of additional flexural strength. Maybe it's just enough to get your numbers to work out, but it's not very efficient. Better to reinforce the flanges for flexure.

That's why I posted both... just as an outline... check the calcs before you use them...

I had a recent issue (on this web) about reinforcing a Class 1 section to see if it becomes a Class 2 or a Class 3. The Class 3 uses Sx and Class 2 uses Zx for section properties. I had considered it as Class 2 before I posted the question, but wanted to see what other engineers would do. I often do that.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Yes. To be clear, we have our own calc. The PDF I just skimmed to make sure we weren't missing any checks.

I have a feeling they'll go forward with the channel... when I asked, PM said they discussed it with the contractor already.

They can laugh when they open it up 50 years from now.

well, maybe for next time...

-----*****-----

-Dik

in my SMath program:

Clipboard01_xucjxi.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

I would agree with you that the channel takes vertical load via the plug welds and no horizontal (VQ/I) shear is involved - or at least very little as the weld isn't zero in height.

So the relative stiffness between the existing beam and the channel will derive how much load the channel takes when deflecting in unison with the beam.

Agree that the channel, when bending, has a compression flange that should be braced laterally from OUTWARD buckling. The weld is probably inside the shear center so the channel will try to rotate outward (top flange moving outward) from the beam web...so some type of connection at the flange - on a spacing to limit bucking of the flange is warranted. Now because the bottom flange is tight to the web of the beam, the overall channel LTB probably can't happen - just a local buckling of the top flange (similar to a column buckling outward).

JAE said:
I would agree with you that the channel takes vertical load via the plug welds and no horizontal (VQ/I) shear is involved - or at least very little as the weld isn't zero in height.

I believe (VQ/I) shear would be exactly zero, as Q = Ay, and y = 0 (centroid of reinforcing to centroid of built up section).

Agree about the channel flange kicking outwards with the one row of plug welds.

Ya it is essentially zero - but with the dimension of the plug, y actually is a bit > 0 so there's something there...but I'd usually ignore it. Just stating that incase someone gets picky about absolute statements like that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back