Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Reinfroced concrete column K factor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus14

Civil/Environmental
Mar 21, 2020
KW
I have a column supporting a transfer girder as shown in the attached sketch. The column has a transfer girder framing into it's weak axis, however the strong axis is not framing into a slab or a beam and hangs freely, I intend to use K =2 for the column around the strong axis. Still with K=2.0, I still don't think the strong axis will control the design, since it's pretty stiff. What do you think ?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dbd62139-268c-4d01-ab8f-88931790cc91&file=Sketch_.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The major axis is well supported by the transfer girder which is laterally braced by the rightmost beam; if your sketch is drawn to scale, it won't control the design.

The strong axis is also framed with transfer girder ..

Consider

Ψ = ratio of Σ(EI /Lc ) of all columns to Σ(EI /Lb) of beams in a plane at one end of a column

EI /L is bending stiffness of the element. In this case , you shall consider the torsional stiffness of the girder ..

First check if the frame is Nonsway frame or not and calculate Ψ

For strong axis Ψ = Σ(EI /Lc )/ Σ(GJ /Lb) ( G = shear modulus , J= Polar moment of inertia )

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

Thank you BAretired and HTURKAK for replying. Your answers make sense and will be very helpful for me in future projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back