Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstalling SolidWorks2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmAnD

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2008
MK
Can somebody explain me how to reinstall sw2007 without to lose the toolbox configurations in SolidWorksData forlder. Can it be done with simple redirection of new installation to the old SolidWorksData folder?

Is there any free on-line tutorial about that?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you explain why you would need to re-install? Are you having problems with your current installation or are you looking at having an Admin image in a network location that everyone loads from?

I think we need more info to help you solve the issue you are having. There are methods to trick SolidWorks into thinking it is a new install but really is just a simple registry change. The registry change is to only aid in diagnosing a problem or glitch you may have.

Best Regards,
Jon Knabenschuh

Gemini CAD Solutions

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2007

Aside from the the questions CADGemini has, I would recommend copying all of the toolbox files into a new "backup" directory. Uninstall and ReInstall SolidWorks then copy the toolbox files back into the toolbox directory.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

You should not be keeping toolbox configurations in the home folder for the very reason that on upgrade its all overwritten. (if I understand your setup and problem correctly) In the setup browser for toolbox tick copy all on insertion and then designate a folder alsewhere on your system to hold the copies in. Only customise the copies and tick the use copies if available section also. Then any customisation is safe from updates but if they ever add any new files on an update you can take advantage of it.

Do you think that ShaggyPE's suggestion will work? If it does, I think that will be the solution of my problem.

Toolbox files are just normal solidworks models. The toolbox interface is what generates the new configurations. I've done what I suggested above on a few occasions... It is a nuisance however and I do suggest you use Azum's recommendation after you do your update.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back