Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rejected for OR PE/SE because I took SE1 for the PE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KootK

Structural
Oct 16, 2001
CA
So... kinda need my Oregon PE/SE for some work that I've got on the go. By virtue of previous efforts in California and Washington, I meet all of the requirements save one:

In Oregon you have to be a PE before you can be an SE. And you can't be an SE unless you've taken the civil version of the PE exam and only the civil version. I took the Stuctures I exam for my PE back when that used to be an option but Oregon won't accept that.

If there's anyone else out there who's dealt with this, I'd love to hear about your experience. If I have to go back to square two (I do have FE), it's going to make for a rather unpleasant/unprofitable fall season for KootK. KootK no like.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried to submit for a license in another state about 2 months ago which I think is around when NCEES started the change. It took about 5 or 6 weeks to get it all this worked out and approved through NCEES (you have to submit your updated information for their review) and my record finally released to that state.

I had the chat removed myself TME. After I got back from yoga, I got to feeling a bit queazy about posting the chat. A bit like recording a phone call without the other party's knowledge.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

You know something else that occurred to me? I had NCEES put that MLSE designation (after a review) on my record some years back.

Now what exactly was the point of that considering what has happened here? I think I'm owed a refund.

And something else: when I had that MLSE designation put on my record......I had to get the state where I took the tests to send the results to NCEES. (Something I found pretty odd considering NCEES gives the test.) So looking at this list......do I need to get the same state to send the test scores AGAIN? (Twice inside of 5 years....to the SAME organization?)

This is screaming incompetence here.

KootK said:
I bloody wish. Maybe you should join me for the exam up in Edmonton in October? We'll do it up modified wolf of wall-street style. You know: hookers, blow, Reverse Polish Notation, and intense suffering. I've got a business proposition that I'll eventually need to run by you anyhow.

That has got to be the only time in history that "RPN" and "Blow and Hookers" has been used in the same sentence. Go RPN!
Good luck on your venture.

YES!!!!

NCEES is committed to providing quality products and services to facilitate mobility for professional engineers, surveyors, and our 70 member boards. We fell short of this commitment with the recent upgrades to our Records program. Longtime Record holders like you are among our most valued customers and I regret that we failed to anticipate and meet your expectations.

In order to meet the current needs of our member boards, the information contained within an NCEES Record must be updated to an electronic format. We recognize the frustration this has caused and are working hard to improve the process.

On October 12, we will launch a software update that will allow NCEES to transfer most of your existing information into the new system. You will no longer be required to re-submit and re-verify most of the documentation that was submitted as part of your original application. This will significantly reduce the amount of time and effort required to re-establish your Record in the new system.

Our records indicate you are currently in the process of re-establishing your information in the new system. If you would like to take advantage of the improved process, please send an email request to records@ncees.org. Include your name, 7-digit account ID number, and the state to which you need to transmit your Record. Any information you have already updated will be retained and become a part of your re-established Record. Please let us know if you are currently seeking comity licensure and have an immediate need to transmit your Record.

Whether you choose to take advantage of the improved process or choose to continue manually updating your information, we have waived the fee for your first transmittal in the new system. Again, I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations. We take great pride in offering quality services and we are committed to providing the best level of customer service we can to our customers.

Sincerely,
NCEES Chief Executive Officer

Just got that e-mail myself and came to talk about it. I wonder how much of our records will transfer over? I did that MLSE designation a few years back, so maybe that will help.

Glad I held back on doing anything about this.....my gut instinct was that this wouldn't hold up if we all gave them enough hell about it.

Mmmmm, I was already in the process of needing to transmit a record (and this was before we all discovered how awful the transfer process is) so with mine already setup on the new system I wonder if I even will get an email. Something tells me I wont...

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

One thing I asked them via e-mail is: "By the way, normally at about this time of year, I get a record update reminder (i.e. one reference per year/job change reference). So far, I haven't gotten that. Does that still work the same with the "new" system?

Their reply: "There is no longer a renewal process. This new system relies on information being more updated than it was currently, so we don't want you to update information until you transmit (so it is as up to date as possible for transmittal). Updating items too soon may result in having to update them again."

That seems like a potential problem. If you went (say) 5-10 years without adding a state......and assuming we are still talking one reference per year.....I would think that would get to be a cumbersome task.

So it seems that I did pass the CivilPE exam after all. That's right Oregon, now I'm coming for YOU!! Out of spite, I may not even charge for my services until I`ve driven every last local SE out of business. Kidding of course. I couldn`t hate those lovable, craft beer drinking SE`s if I tried.

Anyhow, the advice that I was given in this thread regarding the exam was spot on. And it allowed me to plan my time very effectively in retrospect. Thanks a bundle guys.

Now to root around in my NCEES record to see what came of the mea culpa bonus migration business.... I gave up in frustration back in October and turned my back on the whole thing like an 80`s Metallica fan during an opening act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back