Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relationship of Worm Gear Reducer and Input Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

batramsey

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2007
US
Hello All,

I need assistance with a worm gear reducer. I have a Morse worm gear reducer (1200:1 ratio), rated for 1.224 input HP and 22,230 in-lbs output torque. This reducer is driving a conveyor belt (through a chain and sprocket system). I have a 1 HP - 1750 RPM motor installed on the gear reducer. If the motor is running at full speed, will the maximum available output torque for this motor & gear reducer configuration be generated, or is the output torque generated dependent on the conveyor load? Also, with the 1 HP motor, operating at full speed, is the maximum output torque just a ratio of the gear reducer ratings?
i.e. output torque for 1 HP motor
OT = (1 HP/1.224 HP)*22,230 in-lbs = 18,162 in-lbs?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...only if the motor is rated at 100% efficiency. Assuming this is a three-phase motor, your efficiency might only be about 85%.

Your gearbox will also have an efficiency, which for a worm drive is probably even worse.

Don
Kansas City

Hello BatRamsey,

for a fair and reasonable comparison, I like to suggest you check which is a KISSsoft website. With their (demo- or testversion-)software you can make any calculation quick, easy and accurate.

knd rgds & seasongreetings Gerrit

Worm gears are very variable in their efficiency, the efficiency varying with the speed of the worm and the gear ratio. It's always worth checking the published figure for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back