Relative Compaction of Fine Grained Soils vs Undrainted Shear Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
All,

Was wondering if anyone has been involved with using undrained shear strengths for compaction "control" rather than the percent relative compaction. I'm looking to work with a local university in developing relationships between undrained shear strengths and percentage of MDD (Standard Proctor).

When one is placing 30 to 40k fill in a day, the Proctor testing cannot keep up with the work volumes and, as per Dr. Wesley of New Zealand, consideration is being given to set a minimum undrained shear strength to "act" as a compaction criteria.

Cheers,
BigH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi BigH,

I see trends in the industry of this ilk. I'm sure you are aware of, "Intelligent Compaction" and such. There is also a growing industry in non-nuclear field-density test methods.

I'm watchful on these methods. I'm mindful of compaction water content and it's importance to engineering behavior. So some aftermath approach (i.e., not performed on the actual day of compaction) leaves me concerned.

I'm curious of others' replies. I'm sort of keeping an eye out on these methods.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Here is part of some lecture notes by Laurence Wesley (Prof. Emeritus at a New Zealand University) - on compaction in residual soils and use of undrained shear strength and void ratio for compaction control.

I want to go into more depth for the purpose of using this in large dam construction control - with, yes, occasional proctors and field relative compaction confirmation.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f22aae45-7c93-467e-8bbe-d3d0c4f81946&file=Compaction_Residual_Soils_-_from_Wesley's_Lecture_Notes.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back