Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relay contact cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tensi

Industrial
Apr 2, 2002
BE
Hello, I've heard that a capacitor placed parallel on the contacts of a two poles relay help them to stay clean. My question is what should be the value of such capacitor? The maximum voltage is 253Vac, so the capacitor should be a X1 type (because there is no fuse to protect the system).
Thanks already for the feebdack.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure about that capacitor in parallel you are mentioning, but maybe you are referring to a snubber circuit ?
If you are switching inductive loads, then a snubber circuit is used to soak up some of the inductive kickback, thereby reducing sparking at the relay contacts.
It's usually just a resistor and capacitor in series, but the values have to be roughly adjusted to the load. Alternativly, a high-voltage transorb could do the trick.

I'm not referring to a snubber circuit. My problem is that the relay I use (and I can not change it)needs minimum 12V and 100mA on its contacts to work properly. It is a Schrack (Tyco Electronics) RT31L12. I use the change over contact to know if the relay is ON or OFF. OK now back to my problem, 100mA at 253Vac is 25.3 W !!!
So I need a system which is powerless or poor in power.
I already find a Supertex IC the SR03 and SR05 but I also have place problems. The place I have is between the power pins and the pins of the relay coil minus 5.6mm for the security. The norms are very strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back