Relay Secondary Injection Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deansharafi

Electrical
Dec 9, 2003
AU
Hi all,
I am trying to buy a protection relay injection unit for the company I am working for.
I have worked with quite a number of them so far, but there are so many features on the equipment that make decision a bit difficult. I have narrowed my choices down to OMICRON and DOBLE.
Would you guys have any experience with any aof these two and which one do you recommend?
Regards,
Dean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WE have used OMICRON extensively and found it to be very useful.
The Test Universe software has all the modules you need to test different relays.
Can't give you a comparison with DOBLE as the DOBLE's I have used are very old.

Suggestion: Obtain technical data sheets of both products and compare parameters, features, options, etc. Also, check the tech support availability.

Hi Dean,

Where are you based?

A European manufacturer who has a good reputation and long history is Programma. Their units have some wierd-sounding names, being of Scandinavian origin (sorry Skogsgurra...), but the equipment is robust and the performance is good.

Worth a look before you commit any large expenditure.

Hi Scott,
I am based in Western Australia. I know Programma is a good unit, but our company has used OMICRON extensively. Now Doble seems to have come close to OMICRON and they are a bit better in price. Personally speaking, I don't have a good experience with Doble, but the new model F6510 seems to be a breakthrough. We are mainly concerend with our high-burden relays, which OMICRON can not do without use of an amplifier unit.
Doble claims that their new product can test any relay. I want to know to what extent this is true.

Hello Dean,
By far Omicron has become defacto standard for secondary injection test kits.It's only limitation,of not being able to use without a laptop computer,I believe can now be overcomed by use of a PDA (Palm top terminal)

Get Doble to loan you an F6150 for a week minimum and try it out—give them the burden of proof. Jodie and Lou need to be kept on their toes—it's a competitive world out there. Rumours are they’ll be offering a 12-channel box.

Hi Deansharafi

Omicron and Doble are very expensive. You might want to look at ETAP ARTTS which is a secondary injection test set I have used and works real well because it allows upto 9 CT inputs and interfaces with the ETAP coordination program. The best thing is service is available in the US.

If you want functionality at a cheaper price (almost half) then check it out. I am sure you can get detailed specs from etap.

I read HiSets comments and the ETAP ARTTS works with a laptop computer and can test almost 24 different IEEE types of relays. Quite lightweight too, weighs in about 18 kgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back