Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relay to control appliance power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi forum! I'm looking where to find a relay too switch on/off a house appliance using 220V and rather low current (for example a light or a small machine) by using a 5V control voltage with max. 30 mA current. Is there a relay with such values? Can I use a microcontroller circuit outputing these values (5V vs. 0V) to use in an application like this??
Can you point me into a relay model i can use for this??
thanks in advance for any answer and sorry for the newbie question (new in electronics, just trying hard...)
Ivan
(ivan.franco@ydreams.com)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hopefully somebody will suggest a "off the shelf" commercial module. In case they don't I can try to help later. If you start trying to do it yourself use an optically triggered SCR or TRIAC module rated for this apllication. There are serious safety and reliability concerns. For instance you can expect 4kv pulse to come down the line every month or so. The actual timing will depend upon location, but count on it happening once in a while. In fact you will be getting much larger pulses occasionally.
The point is that you have to use parts rated for this application. I personally have found that X-10 modules fill most applications. These are cheap ($15) and work by power line signaling from a controler.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back