Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Released Parts not read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncarlblom

Mechanical
May 6, 2010
US
We are working with SE V20 and an Insight server with WSS on server 2003.

When we release a part, the part is moved to the released folder, but the part itself is not read-only. My understanding is that the parts should only be able to be edited by using an ECO, and not directly from the released document library. Is that the case? If so, am I missing a setting somewhere to be sure that this is happening?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure about insight, but setting the SE part status property to released does not make the file read only.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Thanks for your prompt reply, bc. So, is the only way to make the file read-only setting the SEStatus to "In-work"? Or is there another way to make it read-only (Insight or not)?

No, I don't think any status setting makes it read only -
I think that is a Windows thing.
I must stress that I don't know if this is the case with insight as I have never used it.
Once a file has been set to released you would need to use revision manager to create a new revision (unless you cheat and use a VB program to get at the SEStatus property).

In an environment without insight I don't think many users bother with the status of models - ie setting them to released etc as it can get very complicated with assembly revisions.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

When you set the status to released or baselined the file becomes read-only in an unmanaged environment (no SharePoint and Insight Server).

In a managed environment it all depends on in what security group you are. If you are a member of the released site’s site owners you will be able to edit released files. Make sure that your users are only members of the site members group (only allowed to contribute). Files that are baselined are read-only for everyone.

There is some added functionality in ST2&3 where you can create an ECO group with which you can control who can revise files.

Regards,
Theodore

Solid Edge ST3 MP1 on WinXP x64

P.S. When you make changes to security settings you will have to restart Solid Edge for the changes to take effect.

Thanks for your replies, toffeet. I wondered if that was the case, but there are some approvals that are set in place on that site, so I'm going to mess with permissions and be sure that they are not negatively affected. Thanks again for your help.

We had this problem and it turned out that all the users were in the Doc_Control group. Removed the non-essential users and it was back to normal.

Hi,

I have the opposite promblem, since we updated from ST1 to ST3, our admin account can no longer change the files are released. The account has full permissions to the site.

Can someone please explain how Engineering Change and Document Control works? I have read the Solid Edge SharePoint Implementation Guide but I still don´t understand it.

Thanks!

Thank you for a quick response!

Right now nothing is specified, but after your screenshot I think I understand how it works. I will try it out!

I have run the SEAdimin tool a couple of times, not sure if I have used it correct though.

btw. Is this some new feature to ST3(or ST2) since we never used it in ST1.

/Stefan

Yes, it is a new feature which gives you more control over who can edit parts and who can revise them. Time to go home now (5 o'clock in South Africa). Please ask if you have any further questions. I will respond to them tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Theodore

Unfortunately I can’t see on your first screenshot what the exact URL of your SharePoint site is. Have a look at my first screenshot; the URL must be exactly the same. It might even be case sensitive (not 100% sure thou). If that doesn’t help, make sure that your search scope file is correct.

With regards to the use of SEAmin.exe the following. Have a look at the second screenshot. It is a very useful tool with which you can edit the options.xml file and create all the necessary default values. Once you have done that, you can then easily apply it to all the users.

Regards,
Theodore

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5fc6fd0e-20b3-40f6-9721-9101686f8003&file=SCREENSHOT-01.JPG
I think I have solved it. When I created the Doc_Control group I put the group owner to the wrong user (actually I didn't specified the owner at all).

Thanks for the support!

/Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back