Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reliability of Relay Test Sets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

artvandelayb4u

Electrical
Aug 29, 2011
US
I have had the chance to work with a variety of relay test sets that we are looking to purchase. My main concern though, which outweighs my personal opinions on ease of use or functionality, is reliability. Can anyone give me their experiences with problems or lack thereof regarding the modern test sets i.e. Omicron, Megger, Manta etc...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Used to be Megger but we have had a lot of issues with software, specifically for NERC reporting, and equipment reliability with them as of late, support has been poor as well. Talked with a bunch of people at a conference last week and others have had the same experiences. Megger just launched a new relay test set that looks really nice but still runs power dB and I am hesitant to go back down that road.

We just switched over to Manta (And Enoserv RTS) and are happy so far, other guys I know have been happy with Omicron, the key is to get all your guys trained on the same thing so they are comfortable with it.

Haven't had any problems with the Doble F6150. Stay away from any used AVO/MultiAmp/Megger "Pulsar" test sets. I say used because I don't think they make them any more. They are very unreliable.

Hardware wise, I don't think you can beat Omicron. I have used their equipment (and others) for about 14 years in all kinds of climate. I've seen sales demos where the test set is intentionally dropped on the floor at the beginning of the demonstration. Pretty tough equipment. February (outdoors) in North Dakota, to 110 Deg in Texas and it worked.

I used a Doble F6150 extensively a few years ago and was disappointed to say the least. The SW is finicky and lacks (in my opinion) any connection to windows beyond Win 3.1. I found the repeat-ability of the high current sources questionable in that mode (transient). The 6150 also seemed to crash quite a bit. I had the latest drivers / Fw installed.

The new offering from Megger seems interesting. It has been my experience that the service / repairs on Megger is lacking. That goes back a long time. The new unit looks like a completely new platform and it's possible that it was developed in conjunction with Programma, which Megger acquired a few years ago.

All devices can fail. I know the Omicron does a fairly extensive HW check when it starts up. If, for example, an amplifier is not working, the system can still work and allow you to "limp" along. If you are in the service business, this can make a substantial difference in getting the job done.

Thanks for the info guys. Currently, to my and JG2828's chargrin, we are running a couple of Pulsars. Everyday is an adventure with thoses things.

All anecdotal of cource, but the utility I work for has both Omicron and Doble test sets. The local guys here all use Doble F6150, though I understand that they do spend some time in the repair shop.

I've not been in contact with the other areas that use Omicron, but from what I've heard they don't have too many issues.

The Omicron configuration software is quite powerful. We looked at the options and ended up with an Omicron unit for my division.

Zogzog is spot on about training, its also worth considering the development of test plans on a platform, this may also sway your choice.

Well if anyone wants a F6150 I am selling one :)

The new Megger SMRT unit is pretty cool though but I wasn't ready to be the new software guinea pig.

I've been using the Doble F6150 and don't really have problems...

The newest SW interface is really good, but as any new SW issues happen..

Dan de Freitas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back