Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relocated foreign vessels 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

canecutter

Industrial
Oct 20, 2006
US
We have an owner/operator that wants to reuse and install here in the US some vessels fabricated in Germany under German codes. The vessels are in a low pressure application(3 bar) and are not steam drums/boiler vessels. The vessesl will be located in an acid plant. Our client wants to know if the vessels can be inspected and receive an ASME Section VIII code stamp. Is this possible and is it necessary?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guys-

Relax a bit... Last time I checked, an FCC certification on my cordless phone isn't adequate for European or Canadian or probably most other places. Cars have different testing / design / equipment requirements depending on where they're sold. It not protectionism, its just that different countries have developed their own codes and safety standards and, well, "when in Rome..." On the other hand, the "unified" European Pressure Directive could simply have adopted the ASME code and avoided all worries about acceptance - both ways.

jt

ndeguy,
I think you misunderstood me. The repairs were not made to correct poor workmanship. They were made in the normal course of maintenance work that we provide to various owners under contract. The involved vessels had been in service for at least 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back