Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Remember the "Fixed" Can Opener Bridge? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you hire any vehicle like that they usually tell you in no uncertain terms that the insurance does NOT cover the roof.... or hitting anything high.

A friend of mine a good few years ago hired a "Luton" van (comes with a high roof over the cab) and drove it into a railway bridge as she was so used to driving her car on the same road that she didn't take the high vehicles ramp up to a level crossing. It hit the bridge so hard that it basically ripped the box section bolts off the chassis and caused several thousand pounds worth of damage which she was liable for. OUCH!!

Luton van which when you're driving it makes it feel like nothing bigger than an SUV.

image_xurfnz.png

This one.

image_ytumgv.png

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

A semi hit a low railway bridge in Vancouver years ago.
The picture in the paper showed the van type trailer rammed into the bridge and the truck about 75 yards up the road, with an 8' by 8' section of the floor of the trailer still attached to the truck.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

A couple of years ago in Columbus, Ohio a trucker made a wrong turn onto a bike path. He made it quite a ways down before this happened
bikepath_qtb2qq.jpg

More can be found here.
Link
There is no such thing as stupid-proof.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

A barrier that stops the truck would be the only way. If using a gate then expect it to be broken on a regular basis by someone in a car trying to get past before it drops all the way.

The TTC had to install gates on this ramp where the streetcars go underground for the Union Station end of the route to stop cars from driving down the ramps onto the tracks.

2020-10-15_08_36_58-152_Queens_Quay_W_-_Google_Maps_bcidpg.png

The stupid part is that this route uses a streetcar median, so cars should only be driving on the tracks to cross them at intersections. There is no reason to be driving on the tracks towards the ramp in the first place.

The TCC brings in a low lift crane that is used for track work, wraps a chain from each wheel to the center of the roof and yanks the car out of the tunnel. The chains do lots of damage to the vehicle sheet metal.

I like those ones that turn on a curtain of water with a huge STOP sign right in the direct line of travel, developed in Australia I believe. It would be hard to miss.

The roads along the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge -- Storrow Drive on the Boston side and Memorial Drive on the Cambridge size -- have underpasses with less than 10-foot clearance. These roads pass by major universities -- Boston University, MIT, and Harvard.

Of course, move-in and move-out times for these schools have lots of people from out of town driving rental trucks, so it is VERY common to get these types of incidences. When I was in school there in the 1970s, it was virtually a spectator sport to look for these!

Seems to me there's a lot of technology that could possibly alleviate the situation; obviously, there's a sensor, or sensors, that detect the oversized truck, so tracking and pointing dazzlers at it to get it stop and turn should be doable. Perhaps, the city has a deal with truck repair shops?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

The previous thread covered a lot of the options and issues with trying to stop trucks running into this bridge. It is actually quite difficult given the lack of distance from the junction to the bridge.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back