Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote control of water pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieD

Agricultural
Jun 29, 2004
JM
I have to control duplex lift pumps that are used to fill a remote water storage tank on a hill some 2000 ft away in difficult terrain. I have heard of radio transmitted controls (i.e. level float switches connected through radio transmitter/receiver ) between the pump (controls) and the tank. Where can this be found and what other alternatives exist.
Thanks
Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Put your transducer in the storage tank and have it phone the pump station. by cell phone. If you had phone wires, you would have control wires. When the phone gets the message it can be a siganl to start or stop. They have alarm controls that place calls all over. Call your pump manufacturer for help on the control parts.

I agree with Dicksewerrat that a transducer is an excellent choice over floats/probes.

There are various choices for the transmitter/receiver. You have radio telemetry, cell phone, 900 mhertz transmitters, hard wire and landline telephone wiring, and probably a few others. It all depends on the distance between transmitter/receiver, terrain type (ie line of sight), cost, and phone/power reliability.

I've used radio, hard wire, and landline phone systems in many installations and of the 3, hard wire is best on short distances and radio best for long distances. The 900 mhertz appears to have good promise; but, I've not used it yet. The phone systems will have monthly charges along with the capital expense; but, some also give other monitoring advantages.

With a transducer and transmitter at the tank, you can utilize a controller and receiver at the pump station that allows you to change the pump control/alarm set points as needed.

There are several manufacturers on the market including U.S. Filter, Healy Ruff, etc. Look for a local control manufacturer/supplier. As Dicksewerrat said, the local pump suppliers typically cover controls as well.

We do that job all the time with Motorola Irrinet system.
Radio link works great, easily at that small distance if you use two YAGI antennas.

Hardwire would be most reliable in most cases, but the Motorola system works reliably.

Transducer or Transmitter over floats? I do not know your exact operating conditions, but I would not go to a transmitter unless you need that. I personally do not like floats, but they are a valid option and nothing wrong with them, millions of them in use everywhere, and simple people can work with them. We prefer either conductivity sensors or piezo electric for simple set points. If you need remote level monitoring or remote set point control, then you need a transmitter.

If all your doing is something simple and can be done with simple set points, use set point level sensors. If you must have more complexity, then you go for Radar or Ultrasound for level monitoring.

PUMPDESIGNER

Look at Elpro wireless I/O it is a spread spectrum wire in wire out I/O system Omnex also makes a unit that works well. They are combined units with mixed I/O usually with 4-20 mA inputs/outputs and digital input/outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back