Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote energy metering/PLC 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skogsgurra

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
SE
This is not about Programmable Logic Controllers - but Power Line Communication. The PLC acronym is used for both so there may be some confusion. But, as said, this is Power Line Communication.

The questions I want some views on are:

A How often are electric power meters read in your area? Other meters (gas, water, heating, cooling etc)?

B What technology is mainly used?

C Are several different technologies used to achieve 100 percent coverage? If so, do you use GSM, internet, fiber, copper, radio link, meter man, other for the "difficult" meters?

D In what stage is your organization? Fully implemented PLC? Partly implemented (how many percent?? Planning stage? Not considering PLC/remote metering at all?

E How well does your implementation work? If there are any problems, please indicate what technology causes the problems and if you think that the situation will improve or if that technology seems to be a blind alley?

F How do you handle the VFDs? What filters have proven effective?

G Any other thoughts?

I am asking this because I have been involved in countless discussions on this subject lately. The reason is that I work with EMI from VFDs and other power electronic devices and that they seem to be a problem for the PLC. (Yes, there are filters, I know. But they seem to short out the PLC carrier as well as the EMI from the VFDs).

There seems to be as many opinions regarding the future of PLC as there are individuals. Please help deblurr the picture by answering this mini-enquête. The more answers we get, the clearer the picture will be.

Gunnar Englund

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks all. I have got lots of new information here. This is how eng-tips should work - and does, mostly.

I have also heard about the Hunt T2, but not got any in-depth information. Anyone knows where to search?

Gunnar Englund

Mid-South Electric Coop in Navasota, Texas experimented with it. I don't think they were too happy, but have no details. You might contact someone there.

skogsgurra,

If you would like contact information on the two Texas Coops mentioned plus all utility and non-utility electricity generators in the United States, the Department of Energy's Website has two hand excel spreadsheets with phone numbers for each.

The two coops are listed in the "utility contacts" spreadsheet at this url: (hint: filter by state or search by name)

Hey skogsgurra,

Quote:
"The reason is that I work with EMI from VFDs and other power electronic devices and that they seem to be a problem for the PLC."

I hate to plead ignorance, but could you explain theses acronyms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back